Contact: Alicia Pierce or Mari Bergman
AUSTIN, TX – Today, Texas Secretary of State Carlos H. Cascos reminded Texans that early voting for the March 1 Primary Election begins on Tuesday, February 16, and runs through Friday, February 26.
“I encourage voters to take full advantage of the convenience of voting early,” said Secretary Cascos. “Don’t forget, during early voting you can cast your ballot at any polling location within your county of registration.”
The primary election will determine which candidates will appear on the ballot as the nominees from the Republican and Democrat parties in the November general election. Texas voters may vote in either the Republican or Democratic primaries, but not both.
The last day to register to vote in time for the March 1 Primary was February 1, but qualified Texans who missed the deadline can still register by April 25 for the primary runoff election on May 24.
Secretary Cascos also reminded voters they will need to bring photo ID if they cast a ballot in person.
“The photo ID requirement is still in effect,” said Cascos. “Voters will need to present one of seven forms of approved photo ID when coming to the polls.”
The forms of approved photo ID are:
- Texas Driver License – issued by the Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Texas Personal Identification Card – issued by DPS
- Texas Concealed Handgun License – issued by DPS
- United States Military Identification card containing the person’s photograph
- United States Citizenship Certificate containing the person’s photograph
- United States Passport – issued by the U.S. government
- Election Identification Certificate – issued free by DPS
Any citizen who does not have an approved ID can apply for a free Election Identification Certificate and should visit VoteTexas.gov or call 1-800-252-VOTE for more information.
Voters can contact their county elections office to locate the most convenient polling place, or they can follow the links at www.votetexas.gov. During Early Voting, polling place times will vary from county to county.